Back into the swing …

06/01/2013 § 20 Comments

I’m back into patchwork and quilting again …

Sunflower Farm

Sunflower Farm

If you go down to the woods

If you go down to the woods

Sunflower Farm is now all pinned up and ready for quilting & binding.  I’ve chosen a soft pure white fleecy fabric for the backing this time.  I’m itching to experiment with some different quilting patterns – freemotion quilting in swirls I think!

If You Go Down to the Woods quilt is still being pieced together but I love the combination of twinkle stars & teddies and there will lots of white – my current ‘signature’ for all quilts at the moment!  Can’t wait to finish them.

Talking of which, I haven’t shown you my new gadgets yet …

Bias Binding gadgets

Bias Binding gadgets

These are nifty little devices that take all the huffing & puffing out of making your own bias binding – and save loads of £’s if you usually buy it!  I bought them here and I now have 4, in a variety of widths.  The 3 smaller ones came in a pack and I bought the huge one separately.  I use them on ‘straight-of-grain’ strips too as I don’t always need the extra stretch of bias cut.

They’re really easy to use …

Cut strips the desired width

Cut strips the desired width

Each gadget has the width of fabric on the top and it’s much easier to feed in if the end is cut into a point.

Push the end into the gadget

Push the end into the gadget

You can see that it curls round on both sides as it goes in.  I used a pointy tool (below) to encourage the fabric right through to the other side.  It went through very quickly and wasn’t at all fiddly.

Helping hand - use a pointy tool

Helping hand – use a pointy tool

Out comes the binding

Out comes the binding

Then, as if by magic, as you pull the pointy end, the fabric is beautifully folded.  It just needs to be ironed as it comes out and I pull it under the iron – make sure you don’t scorch your ironing board cover though!

Once it appears the other side of your iron, just pull it through slowly.

Once it appears the other side of your iron, just pull it through slowly.

Ta-dah - easy bindings

I haven’t finished a quilt since I bought these but I used them to make interesting strips for some patchwork cushions that I made at the end of last year and which promptly waltzed off to new homes before I’d had a chance to photograph them!

Do pop over to Wendy’s HandmadeHarbour to see what everyone else is up to in the dim & chilly days of mid-winter.  Winchester was buzzing and busy this afternoon when I popped in to see how the first Retro Market of the year was going.  It’s a new venture, to have markets on the first Sunday of January & February, and it looked as though it was going really well.  I decided to wait until March before starting up again – a chance to replenish my stock and develop some new lines!

Have a good week.

Adaliza

PS :: I’ve just noticed that this is my 250th post!  What a lot of blogging in almost 2 years – my 2nd anniversary is on 20.1.13!

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , ,

§ 20 Responses to Back into the swing …

• freespiritdesigns says:

your quilts look gorgeous! I especially love the blue star fabric with the bears, and the use of white too – i’m a big fan of plenty of white, i think it gives colour and pattern room to ‘breath’ and really shine 🙂

Isn’t it great when you find a truly useful gadget ! x

Totally agree about ‘white space’ – lets the fabrics sing!

• Such a lovely quilt. It’s exciting when you can see the end in sight. Like the look of those gadgets will have to investigate me thinks!

• RosMadeMe says:

I love my bias binding makers, they give you so much flexibility… love the new quilts, look forward to seeing lots more during the year 🙂

• Ginny says:

I love your retro fabrics, and the bias tape makers look a really handy gadget.

• Those gadgets are really clever. I can see how they make your life easier. Love the farmyard fabric – a different scene in each piece. 🙂

• fiddlyfingers says:

Love the fabrics you have used in your quilts and those bias binding makers look very useful!

• Sarah says:

Really love the quilts….especially the Sunflower farm one…so pretty.
    Always great to find gadgets to save time….altho I have to admit to know knowing a thing about bias binding….(What I know about sewing can be written on the back of a stamp) 😉
    Happy New Year
    Sarah x

• Congratulations on 250 posts! Your blog is lovely – so are your quilts 🙂

• CatkinJane says:

Your lovely binding has reminded me about my binding maker lurking in a drawer somewhere – you’ve inspired me to look it out as I’m sure I should be using it!

• Love the quilts, the teddies fabric is really pretty.
    The gadgets look ideal, I’m another one that will have to look them up, it will certainly make things much easier.

Jan x

• Martha says:

what very nice quilts! love the fabric with farm animals 🙂 perhaps i’m longing for some spring now!

thanks for sharing the info about those bias binding makers – they indeed look very helpful. such a small nifty device and so much joy!
    brilliant!

• Alison says:

Gorgeous quilts. My favourites the sunflower farm. The fabrics adorable. I’ll have got to get my hands on one of those bias binding tools, it will save me from burning my fingers.
    Ali x

• Jill Spain says:

Your quilt is gorgeous – lovely vibrant colours. I am married to a gadget freak and it rubs off, so do like the look of your one. Hopecyounhave a good week.

• cpc2012 says:

A lovely quilt, really gorgeous colours. Love the gadget. Hope you have a good week.

• Wendy says:

I agree bias makers are so easy to use. I like the idea of making strips for quilting using them, too. Love the colours of your quilt 🙂

• Susie says:

Even tho I don’t quilt I read that whole thing because I might always be able to use that information somewhere in my sewing (well I call it sewing! LOL). Right now I am trying to screw up the courage to put a zipper into something. 🙂
    Love the quilt you’re working on, you find the most beautiful fabric.

Good luck with the zipper – I call that torture!

• Leisa says:

Those are the best little gadgets ever! They sure make life easier… Lovely fabrics–I love the barnyard animals on the green background! 🙂

• OO, your bias binding is much neater than mine!

You are currently reading Back into the swing … at Adaliza.