What’s in a name?

24/02/2017 § 11 Comments

well, I can’t answer that because I have no idea what to name this quilt!  Usually a name presents itself to me as I’m stitching and particularly when I’m quilting but this one has been silent.  Do let me have any ideas – what does it make you think about when you see it?

This one finishes my ‘fling’ with solid blocks.  In fact, there are 2 patterns in it as you can see and I think they add some interest.

I finished this one ahead of the other solid quilt (below) which is almost done – just the binding to go here and again nameless!  Must be something in the air that’s not giving me names!  Any ideas???

dav

On my design wall is a Periwinkle quilt with a whole mixture of ditsy vintage prints and I’m loving it.  No photos today ‘cos my memory card has packed up and I’m awaiting the arrival of another from Hong Kong (I wondered why it was such a good price on ebay)!

Flora isn’t too well, still.  She’s fine in herself but her legs have been very weak and one seems to be pretty useless.  She’s on meds from the vet so fingers crossed that she’ll make a recovery.  She’s sleeping at night in my studio – we have quite quacky chats as I’m sewing!!!  Bless her – she’s spent most of today in the sunshine inbetween the ‘hydrotherapy sessions’ in the pond.

Enjoy your weekend.

linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts

§ 11 Responses to What’s in a name?

• Liz Stewart says:

I’m thinking floating squares and tantalising triangles. Both are lovely.

I love those! Thanks for popping by – have a great weekend.

• Ruth Clapp says:

My first idea was to name it “Shadowed,” but then I thought that most important was the appearance that the squares were floating and tethered by the crosswise quilting so a name should reflect that. Not sure what that should be. “Airborne”

Absolutely love that. Brilliant! I’m going to stitch the label right now. You’ll see it in my 2017 Finished Quilts page on my blog just as soon as my camera’s working again. Thank You!

• AUNTIE SHAN says:

The First one reminds me of the 50s with its colours and squares… And California keeps popping up in my head as well… Also, the way the quilting lines intersect the squares and how the grey gives them a raised look, it’s like looking down over rooftops OR, beach umbrellas..?
    “COSTA UMBRA”?? – [whatever the Spanish is??]

Meanwhile, that Diamond pattern of the Second always reminds me of VENICE. Those colours could be “reflections” in the Grand Canal…
    “MURANO”?? – Actually, I really like that name for it the more I think on it.

Whatever, BOTH are LOVELY!!
    😀

Great names – I think I’ll have to put them into a hat and pick one. Great to hear what they remind you of. Good to hear from you – looking forward to Springtime? Ax

• Flora… poor dear. I’ve fallen behind (on everything, actually) and I am sorry to read that she is not well.

Naming quilts… that first one makes me think “Skyward,” or “Aloft.” They’re both so pretty… at once calming and energizing.

Great names for quilts. I think I will have to make the ultimate decision for Flora next week. She was booked in for Thursday but I couldn’t do it. However, she can’t stand or walk and one leg is completely useless with no movement. Poor little duck – she is so much loved and part of our family.

• Brenda says:

My first thought on seeing the top quilt was “sunny days”, I think because there’s actual light and shadow on a quilt in the photo. And the sunny, coloured squares make grey shadows of their own. Beautiful, no matter what you name it.

Thank You! So pleased that the quilt makes you think of sunshine.

• Diane F says:

I’m late to the party, but my name would be “Shadow Boxing”. Love the quilt and my deepest sympathy on Flora’s passing.

You are currently reading What’s in a name? at Adaliza.